İZMİR PROVINCIAL DIRECTORATE OF CULTURE AND TOURISM

GAZİEMİR

gaziemir

History of Gaziemir

It was among the foundations of ‘Zawiya of Seyyid Mükerremüddin’ by “Gazi Umur Bey” (Ghazi Umur Bey) during the Beylik of Seydikoy Aydınogullari at the beginning of the 14th century and it reached the condition of a large village demographically and economically in the 15th and 16th centuries. Its improvement compared to nearby other settlements made it the center of township after the second half of the 19th century. Although the center was moved to Cumaovasi due to totally being destroyed during invasion years, its name was not changed. It continued to be administrative center by reconstruction with the settlement of exchanged immigrants. The fact that Aydin railway and a station called as Gaziemir was built at the end of the century was an effective factor especially for settlement.

Gaziemir, which became a municipality in 1926, ranked among the metropolises of Izmir. Fast improvements appearing in the direction with modern city understanding of Republican period especially in the second half of the 20th century played an important role in the rank.

One of the important reasons of it is the fact that it has become an industry and trade center by intensifying since 1970. The Aegean Free Zone, which was established within the boundaries of the district, has matured this development with the effect of the recently launched highway network and the airport.

Gaziemir has developed above Seydikoy. The source of the name “Gaziemir”, which is officially in use today and replaced ‘Seydikoy’ used both among the people unofficially today and in the period dating back to the first half of the 14th century, is that it was given to ‘Zawiya of Seyyid Mukerremuddin’ by “Gazi Umur Bey”, the most colorful symbol of the Beylik of Aydinogullari.

The name of Gaziemir, which has replaced Seydikoy today, is a name given to Aydinoglu Gazi Umur Bey, who dedicated this place to the “Zawiya of Seyyid Mukerremuddin” and lived in Izmir where his father Mehmet Bey gave him in line with the old Turkish state tradition and administration understanding. The name of Gaziemir is a name which has become widespread as a result of the change that the phrase of "Gazi Umur" has experienced over time.

Gaziemir Municipality was founded as town in 1926 and served until 1980 in the same form. It was included in the borders of Konak Municipality between 1980 and 1992. It has served as Gaziemir Municipality since 1992.